Guidelines for Nomination
Before you submit a nomination, please carefully read the instructions below to better understand the nomination process and complete your nomination. You may also refer to the check list for step-by-step instructions.
Responsibilities of a Canadian Delegate
To serve as a member of the Canadian delegation at the 62nd session of the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women (UNCSW), the delegate must:
- Participate in meetings/briefings of the Canadian delegation;
- Bring a Canadian NGO perspective to the work of the Canadian delegation, representing a spectrum of women’s and other non-governmental organizations;
- Provide advice to the delegation on their area(s) of expertise and contribute to side events organized by Canada;
- Liaise with Canadian and other NGOs at the UNCSW, including taking part in debriefings of Canadian NGOs on how discussions are proceeding;
- Following the meeting, disseminate information on the results of the UNCSW and organize follow-up activities; and
- Take part in a debrief chaired by the Minister of Status of Women to provide feedback and discuss best practices.
- Overall knowledge of gender equality issues;
- Expertise of thematic and institutional issues to be discussed at the 62nd session of UNCSW, including issues relating to the empowerment of rural women and girls and relating to the participationin and access of women to the media, and information and communications technologies and their impact on and use as an instrument for the advancement and empowerment of women;
- Significant expertise in one or more of the critical areas of concern of the Beijing Platform for Action;
- Potential to disseminate information and to link with other organizations in the NGO community and civil society;
- Commitment to further advance gender equality, both in Canada and internationally;
- Availability to attend related NGO preparatory meetings in the event they take place; and
- Availability to attend for the duration of the first week of meetings.
- Status of Women Canada’s goal is to ensure the representation of the diversity of women’s realities and perspectives among NGO members of the Canadian delegation.
- NGO members of the Canadian delegation will be selected based on their professional experience and qualifications.
- NGO representatives who have been previously selected as official Canadian delegates within the past 5 years will not be eligible for selection in order to provide opportunities for other candidates.
Nominations must be received no later than January 12th, 2018, at 5:00 p.m. EST. Incomplete nominations or nominations received after this deadline will not be considered.
- Date modified: